Monday, September 30, 2013

5K Update - Almost There!

I am this close to doing the 5K.   This last week has been trying to say the least.  Here's what I did on the last official day of the Couch to 5K Program:


Week 8

DAY 3
45 minutes  total

2.69 miles   141 calories
5 minutes  walking warm up, 35 minutes running,  5 minutes walking cool down. 
 My legs felt pretty good today.  The last 5 minutes of the run were HARD!    I actually RAN 35 minutes straight and did 2.22 miles running.  Still quite a way off the 5K goal and still too slow.  Ugh.  I thought this was the end of the program, but the next screen popped up and said it would see me in 2 days for my 5K.  What does that mean??

So, I don't feel physically or emotionally ready to actually run the 5K.  I'm still having a hard time running for 35 minutes straight and I know it's going to take longer than that to do the 5K.  The rest of this past week I tried setting the pace on the treadmill a little higher, in the hopes that I'd knock off a little more mileage in a shorter period of time.  I'm still averaging 15 minute miles.  Crap on a cracker!  I am so not happy with that.

This is hard people, I'm not ashamed to say that either.  For anyone out there struggling with their weight, or a work out program, or whatever, take heart.  All of it is hard.  But you can't quit, you have to keep going, you have to keep trying, keep fighting, get up off your butt even when you don't want to.  

I'm going to work on my endurance this week and my mileage and shoot for next week for the actual 5K.  I'm afraid I'm going to fail.  Failure is not an option though, is it?  It's taking longer than I thought it should.   I keep telling  myself that I should be able to do this.  I will do this.  One step at a time.  I hope....


12 comments:

  1. Hey Kim,

    I understand your frustration and fear, as I've been there with every new distance I've tried. But don't get discouraged. The fact that you've been getting out there, trying and training is awesome. Go for that 5K, it's a lot easier than it seems. Race day, you will have all that nervous energy, excitement, adrenaline, and all those people that will carry you through to the end and you'll likely surprise yourself. If this is your first 5K then don't worry about finishing times, just set your goal to finish it. After that then you can start getting particular about finishing times. Trust me it gets easier as you continue, especially once you start adding speed workout, hills, etc. If you are just running on a treadmill, I would suggest getting out on the road for a couple of miles, or better yet, find a nice hiking trail and run that. It will make you stronger and faster.

    You can do this. And just by showing up for the race, you've beaten all those that didn't show up for the race. A great saying I've seen in the running social atmosphere goes something like. Last is better than DNF(did not finish), DNF is better than DNS(did not start).

    Good luck and can't wait to see the results, you're going to surprise yourself because we all run faster on race days. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tm - I'd forgotten that you were a runner. Thanks for the tips. Every little bit sure does help me and I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Hey - going from no running to running for 35 minutes straight is a success in my book! Look how far you've come in just 7 weeks. Hang in there - you can do this. Even if it takes a little longer than 8 weeks, that's okay. In the big picture, you won't remember how low it took, you'll only remember that you covered the distance. Keep chipping away - you will get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda - you know you're my greatest inspiration.

      Delete
  3. I am so proud of you for the way you've kept going. Every foot you put in front of the other is another victory. You're already a major winner in my book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. I really appreciate the advice and support my blogger buddies have been giving me. It means a whole lot. xo

      Delete
  4. Ooops, I meant long, not low.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work! The satisfaction of completing your 5k will make it all worth it when you cross that finish line. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually getting to the point where I can see myself actually running a real one. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Pam said to come here and give you support but it does not sound like you need any, its more that I could do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by bill. I appreciate the support. I'm glad you came and hope you come back.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...