Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Antique Archaeology and a Geocache

Have you ever seen the TV show American Pickers?  Louie and I are addicted to that show.  The home base for the pickers is their store Antique Archaeology in LeClaire, Iowa.  If you look closely at the photo below you will see me sneaking around behind the sign to find a geocache. 


My mom and dad had actually visited the store a couple of years ago and got to meet owner and picker, Mike Wolfe.  Mom said he was a really nice guy.



A couple of weeks ago I got a bug in my butt and decided that I wanted to drive out to LeClaire and see the store.  You know what a road trip means don't you?  Geocaching!!  We tossed the old ball and chain  my mom and dad, in the back of the car and off we drove with our sights set on LeClaire, Iowa.  Of course I picked a couple of geocaches to do along the way.  The first one we did was in Rapids City.


It was early in the morning when we got out of the car to search for the cache.  Just then another car pulled up, a couple got out carrying a GPS, and wouldn't you know it - 2 geocachers from out of town.  It's always fun to meet other cachers on the trail.


We did another couple of geocaches and pulled across the Mississippi river into Iowa.  A quick mile or two down the road and we were in front of the Antique Archaeology store.  It looks exactly like it does on the TV show, but it's a lot smaller in real life than what you think it is.  Even though the store had just opened for the day, there was already a large crowd milling around.





 We saw a lot of items at the store that we had seen Mike and Frank picking on TV. 







The store is just packed with lots of cool things to see.



This Triumph sign was one of my favorite items!



Of course there's a geocache hidden someplace outside the store and of course we found it.  We had to be super stealthy because of all the people, but we did manage to find and sign the cache.  I'm not telling where it was hidden, but I will tell you that the cache location is shown in one of the photos I posted.  Hee hee.....



It was really fun to see the actual Antique Archaeology store and since I wrote Archaeology so many times in the post, I now know how to spell it.  LOL!  Afterwards we headed over to the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum, but I'll save that for another post.

I'm also posting this over at Cache Crazy today for Cache Crazy Tuesday.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome. I've added the cache to my bucket list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, it was a fun hide in a cute place. Be sure and go when the place is open so you can wonder around inside

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fun place-- nice road trip too. Definitely waiting to see the Cody Museum post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very interesting. I'm working on the post now.

      Delete
  3. How incredible...I am SO green with ENVY! I'd be posing with your Mom on one side of Mike and me on the other! lol And they have a book, too? I'll look for it! I'm a huge fan! I have it on my places to visit some day! Great pics my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look for the book used on Amazon. They wanted too much for it at the store. I also have their Nashville store on my list of places to go.

      Delete
  4. I watched a bunch of reruns last year and added this to my list. I have it down with a trip to Rock Island as a sidetrip along with a daytrip to the Herbert Hoover National Historic Site. I bet they get a lot of business from people who don't necessarily expect to buy when they get there. Their store in Nashville looks neat too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of the stuff in the store was very expensive. But it was fun to go there. The Nashville store is next up! Lots of geocaches around Nashville too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that show!! so jealous you got to go, but thanks for sharing your adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have thought that I'd like to visit this place before...I love to watch Mike and Frank! Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun to be at the actual store. I was shocked at how small it really is but they are truly building a larger place next door like they talk about on the show. That will mean another trip back when it's completed. LOL.

      Delete
  8. How fun! Thanks for sending me the link to this post. Les (hubby) and I watch this show all the time! In fact, it was this show that motivated my husband to get out and help me find old stuff for our vintage sales. One of these days we'll get down there. It's a long drive from where we live so we wouldn't make it a day trip.
    Finding another geocacher ....fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...