Friday, October 26, 2012

Visiting Fort Sheridan Part 2

The other day I was telling you about our excursion to historic Fort Sheridan so we could walk the trails and find a few geocaches while learning the history of the old fort.  Today I'll show you some of the trails and exhibits we saw along the way.

The original main gate to the Fort has been moved and is now a part of the Fort Sheridan Nature Preserve....



The land in this area was originally part of a glacier and over the past 4000 years running water has formed beautiful ravines....






The Nature Preserve has miles of trails, both paved and natural.  The first section lead us down towards Lake Michigan where there is an interactive display...



Somewhere on this artillery gun there's a geocache hidden.  Unfortunately, there were way too many people around for us to look for it, so we'll be back to do this one another day...



I particularly liked the high range binoculars mounted there.  We could see way far out onto the lake by using them...




The next section of pathway took us closer to the lake, and we had to scramble down a steep bluff to look for the next geocache.....








Once we climbed back to the top of the bluff, the pathway took us west and lead us through some prairie....


....and to an old bridge over a ravine.  The next geocache was hidden on this bridge.  We did find it but I can't show you where it was.....


Continuing along the path, we found several more geocaches and explored an old Army cemetery.  Headed south, if you look closely in the center of the photo, you can see the top of the water tower at Fort Sheridan....



We had several more caches left to do, but both of our GPS units died out.  And since they don't have replaceable batteries in them, we were forced to quit our caching for the day and go home to recharge the units.  Hopefully we'll be able to go back one day soon with my mom and dad to complete the series.  We did get a nice view as we headed back to our cache mobile tho....


And before I leave you today, let me remind you about Fright Week!


We are half way through our count down!  Are you following along?  If so, I hope you're enjoying the stories so far.   If not, what are you waiting for???  Don't forget to hit the link and time warp over to CacheCrazy and read "The Haunted Car." One new tale each day from now until Halloween.  See you there. Oh, and I hope you can sleep tonight.  LOL!!!

7 comments:

  1. I bet you can't wait to go find the other caches! It sure is a beautiful place, and I love the views of the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your photo of the bridge. Looks like your fall colors are going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starting to look a little chilly. Hope all is well with you and yours. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like both a beautiful and fascinating place!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Cris! What are you doing up so late? Are you feeling better yet?

      Delete
    2. Late? That was early for me! It's now midnight which is my usual bedtime. ;o)
      And yeah, feeling quite a bit better except for this nagging cough. Should be able to hiking on Sunday, although I hope it doesn't rain 'cause that might cause me to relapse... :s

      Delete
  5. So pretty and such wide open spaces and fall color. I love getting away from the city. The big storm won't affect you I hope. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...