Saturday, October 6, 2012

Volo Car Museum


Last week we took a drive to Volo, Illinois and visited the Volo Car Museum.  Wow, what an interesting and fun way to spend the day!  They have 4 buildings chock full of antique cars, separated by different categories   1)  Cars from the 1950's to the 1970's, 2) Jay Ohrberg's Collection of weird, yet functional cars, 3) The George Barris Collection of TV and Movie cars and 4) cars from the 1920-1930's.

The museum had a great collection of television and movie memorabilia....










At each exhibit they had a television playing clips from the corresponding TV show or movie...

The Munsters car.....



 the ape from King Kong....



The original Herbie from Herbie, Fully Loaded....



Here's a look at just a small portion of the television/movie cars on display....











Mom and I did a little phooning....



The Antique cars were gorgeous.....





Most of the cars were for sale - check out the price on this next one.  Anyone interested?


But my favorite cars were the ones from the 60's and 70's....



Chablis likes the Mustangs....



But here is where I go on tilt....  I love Camaro's.  They are my absolute favorite car and I've personally owned 3 of them so far - a 1970, a 1980 and a 1998.  I went nuts looking at all these awesome Camaro's.





But my dream car, the one I always wished I could have had, was the 1969 RS convertible....


Oh, how I wish this was mine.  I know the big orange sign says "do not touch cars" but I was literally laying on it and drooling all over it.  I was beside myself.


Anyone want to buy it for me?


Outside they had a band playing Jimmy Buffet music.  It was a perfect day to be walking around.





We spent several hours just checking out all the cars.  The Volo Car Museum also has an Antique Mall made up of three huge buildings.  We quickly breezed through one of them, but decided we have to go back another day in order to see everything in the Antique Mall.  This place was that big!  They also have a Trolley Car that you can ride and for Halloween they transform it into a "Haunted Trolley Car."


The Volo Car Museum was a great place to spend the day.  If you're ever in the area, be sure to check it out.  I know we will definitely be going back!

14 comments:

  1. Wow, what a cool place! I'd love to see all the TV show cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no end to the fun you all have! The Munsters, Herbie...loved those! uh-huh--showing my age again...
    xo
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gosh you guys do the funnest things. How cool that museum is. Love the green van and the scooby doo van and the munsters car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! They have quite a variety of cars! I like the Munsters car! heehee! Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful post! You have the coolest parents and, obviously, the best time together. I loved all the great cars...what an amazing collection.
    My friend just introduced me to Geochaching. I just couldn't believe how many people aretaking part in this new trend.
    Thank you for your thoughtful comment on my blog.
    I hope you have a wonderful week.
    Blessings,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool place! My hubby and I have a thing for camaro's too. We have a 1977 sitting back in Idaho waiting for us to go back and get it, along with an old Oldsmobile with a 455 rocket in it. Maybe some day we will get around to it :)

    This place looks like car heaven for any fan of old cars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is cool! I have friends that would be in haaawwwgg heaven to visit there.

    ps- Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must have been a great trip! I would’ve probably drowned in there, with all those vintage and iconic cars. I would love to see Herbie. As a Volkswagen Beetle fan, it’s always a big deal for me to see my favorite car in person. :P It’s fun to see cars of all sizes and ages packed in one place, and all in good condition. It feels like you’re brought to the past with all those vintage and muscle cars around you. ;)

    - Erwin Calverley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting! I've been there, but it's been a loooooong time. LOVE the Chevelle SS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chevelle SS was my second favorite. A guy who lived down the block from us had one and I begged him to sell it to me, but he wouldn't part with it.

      Delete
  10. That is an awesome car museum! I love TV and movie cars, so I definitely have to check that place out. I love that Kit from Knight Rider and the Mystery Machine from Scooby-Doo are there. Where is the A-Team’s van though? I’d love to see that on display!

    Ellsworth Mciltrot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your trip to the car museum certainly looks fun! It’s just amazing to see in person all the iconic cars you’ve seen in movies and TV shows! I bet all the old ‘Batmobiles’ can be seen there. Oh, it would be pure ecstasy to own any of those! Just imagine how awesome it would be to drive around town in the old Batmobile Adam West used to drive as Batman in the 1960s!


    @Nicole Vickers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...