Sunday, June 26, 2011

How to Walk on a Fish Hook and Survive!

Ok, now that I've gotten your attention, let me explain that I don't mean a fishing hook.  This fish hook is actually a breakwater wall in Kenosha, Wisconsin that is shaped like a fish hook.  It goes wayyyyy out into Lake Michigan and today we did a geocache that was hidden out on the end of it.  Go here to see a copy of the geocache page:  http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6026342b-bb23-4690-b9bf-22aa516a0f23

Here's Lou and Chablis as we started the hike out to the point...


This geocache has a rating of 3 out of 5 for difficulty and 4 out of 5 for terrain.  I'll tell you one thing - these are some serious rocks out there....
Once we reached the correct location, which we found using our GPS unit, we had to climb down into the rocks to find the cache....


It was like a cave in there....

It was a perfect day to be at the lake - warm, sunny, light breeze....

Afterwards we wandered around the Kenosha Marina and enjoyed the sights...


We walked around the lakefront and grabbed a couple of more caches.  Can you identify them here?



Ok, that last one was kind of easy!  They are really re-vitalizing the lake front area of Kenosha and it is really pretty.  We saw this fountain that I just fell in love with...


We found another fountain dedicated to Christopher Columbus....

And of course we didn't miss a phooning opportunity!

An old time electric bus went flying by!  Believe it or not, this is similiar to the type of bus I rode in Chicago when I was a kid.  See the wires above the bus and the bar connecting the bus to the wires?  That's how they were powered.

We also checked out this beautiful flower garden...
Check out this gorgeous 1972 GTO - the girl posing next to it is pretty gorgeous too!  I want that car!!

This area of Kenosha is really nice.  I have to go back again some time soon because as we were leaving I spotted a Civil War Museum that I didn't know was there.

By then it was lunch time and we were starving, so we headed over to The Brat Stop....
The Brat Stop is famous in these parts for, what else???  Brats!!!  I had mine with red cabbage and american potato salad...  And a nice icy cold beer.

It was OUTSTANDING!
So that was how we spent our day - now isn't that an interesting way to walk on a fish hook?

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That was some rocky terrain! I'd break a leg climbing over and through them lol! Sounds like a great time though, and it is very beautiful. I think being outdoors enjoying nature somehow makes you hungrier than normal, and those brats looked delish! Thanks for sharing your geocache day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE the coolest geocacher ever. I felt like I went on a little adventure with you.... but ok- did the cache have magnets on it to stick to the water fountain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam: Yes - the last 3 all were magnetized actually. And I loved doing the fish hook one. It was fun to climb on the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun you have geocaching...I might have gotten my Dad interested in it! Hopefully I can do some around here (if I ever get the time!). Gotta find a buddy though...it's no fun alone!! I love going on the adventures with you! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is quite a climb over those big rocks. If I ever made it to the end I'm not sure I'd make it back! Looks like you had a fun adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...