Monday, June 9, 2014

Silver Trail Distillery Museum


Last week I did a post about award winning Silver Trail Distillery.  If you missed it, please go back and read it here.  Silver Trail recently opened a museum in Aurora, Kentucky and if you're in the area, you have to stop by and check it out.  And guess what?  The museum is free!  The history behind the distillery and Silver Trail owner, Spencer Balentine is rich and steeped in intrigue.



Spencer's Great Uncle Casey was regarded as the "King" of still makers and was well known for his still making expertise....




Spencer was featured on several episodes of The Discovery Channels "Moonshiners" series.  I have to see if I can find the episodes online so I can check them out....


Look closely at the photo below.  Can you see that the bed post is stuck into a coffee can?  Any idea why?  You'll have to visit the museum to find out!




If you sign up for the Silver Trail Distillery Tour, you get a souvenir shot glass with your ticket.  I highly recommend taking the Distillery Tour.  I learned a lot about the process of making bourbon and the history behind Silver Trail is fascinating.


The Silver Trail Distillery Museum is located in Aurora, Kentucky on Highway 68, across from The Hitching Post. 



Visit the Silver Trail Distillery website and their FB page.

10 comments:

  1. I bet the coffee can is a spitoon!!? My Grandfather was an auto mechanic, and he worked on the cars that were running moonshine in NC, he had some great stories to tell! Thanks for sharing Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very interesting. We're going back next week to take my parents.

      Delete
  3. Love this kind of history Kim! Wish I could have tagged along on the tour!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love going to free museums like this. We stopped at a rest stop in Knoxville, TN one time and they had an old still set up...not in use....I don't think! lol Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have liked to have seen that. Bet it was a real one too. I have to say, I'm a moonshine convert now. xo

      Delete
  5. I can't believe I missed your earlier post ... thanks for the prompt, Kim.

    "... soul of a renegade with the country outlaw vibe of a Hank Williams Jr. or a Waylon Jennings?" ..... Why, I'm half in love. I'll definitely be checking out their FB page and website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myra - I'm glad you got caught up! Definitely go check out their pages and say hi.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...