Thursday, June 19, 2014

Repurposed TV Trays

Last week I found 3 of these old TV trays shoved in the back of a closet in the basement at the lake house.  I couldn't tell you how long they've been sitting in there, probably since we bought the house 8 years ago.  I dragged them out of the closet and set them by the back door to take to the dump.  Then I had a bright idea - duh, if I'd just paint them they would look great and I could actually use them!  After all, I'm always going to garage sales and estate sales looking for old crap to buy and fix up.  I probably have a lot of old crap in my own house that I could fix up.   LOL!

I gave them a good scrubbing....



 Then I grabbed a couple cans of blue rustoleum spray paint off the shelf and gave each of the trays 3 coats of paint.  Then Chablis and I started going through our stash of old maps and brochures and started clipping out things of interest.  We glued everything to the top of the TV trays and sprayed the top with some Mod Podge acrylic sealer.  Then we painted on 3 coats of Minwax Polycrylic finish....


And here are the finished TV trays, all with a Kentucky theme since we'll be using them at the lake house...







 I can't believe I almost threw them out!

Linking up with:
Make it Monday # 13

14 comments:

  1. How cool! Great job! Funny how we don't see things right under our own noses sometimes. Glad you had a brainstorm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm glad I thought of it before I took them to the dump and not after I had gotten rid of them. I would have been sick. LOL!

      Delete
  2. They look great, Kim and perfect for a Kentucky lake house. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever! They look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - those trays look amazing now! You always come up with such good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic idea,they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great Kim! Really good idea, good thing you didn't throw them out! I have a plan to repurpose a cabinet at our Ft. Myers house, to look like an "Old Florida" cabinet....you've inspired me! Just need time!! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, too bad we don't live closer and Bee could do that for you. :-)

      I can't wait to see what you do with it.

      Delete
  7. What a novel idea - using the old crap in your house instead of buying new old crap. I need to remember this. I love the map trays - great transformation. Thanks for sharing the idea with Make It Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. My husband always says I have too much crap, so I try to use it somehow so I can justify buying all the new old crap. LOL!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...