Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Estate Sale Finds July 19, 2014

We've been pretty busy in general, combined with hanging out at the lake with family, so our estate sale shopping has been pretty sparse lately.  Chablis and I have been itching to go look at some junk, so this past weekend we hit up a couple of estate sales.  We didn't find a whole lot, but here's what we did get...


  • The green bottle with the pasta crammed in it is a vintage WB Hays soda water bottle.  It took us about half an hour to pry all the dried pasta out of it, but it cleaned up very nicely.
  • Brand new rolling pin.  I don't know what it is with me and rolling pins.  I keep buying them and I don't really bake.  What's up with that??
  • A Roseville crock in mint condition.  I found it but Chablis somehow ended up with it in her bedroom.  Hmmmm.......
  • A double thick 9" x 9" aluminum baking pan.  I didn't really need it but I rarely see the double thick ones and with my reputation for burning baked goods, it's a win-win.
  • A metal shoe horn.  Do they even make metal shoe horns anymore?  This one has the name of a shoe store on Halstead in Chicago engraved on it.
  • A glass sugar/creamer.  I've already filled it with creamer and have it sitting at our coffee bar.
  • A 9 cup Pyrex tea pot.  My grandma had a teapot just like this and my mom now has it.  I have always wanted it, but mom wasn't giving it up.  Any time I've ever see one at an estate sale it's priced too high.  The woman wanted $ 25.00 and I talked her down to $ 15.00.  I rarely spend that much on one item, but I splurged because I've wanted this for so long.
  • A blue Marshall Fields tea tin.  I'm a big tea drinker, my grandma always took me to Marshall Fields in downtown Chicago, and this tin said it was made specifically for the Chicago store.  Score!
  • Loved the huge glass Lance jar.  They had another matching one at the same sale and it had the glass lid and they wanted $ 45.00 for it.  There was no way I was paying that.  I was digging around on some shelves in the basement and found this one, without the lid, shoved back in a cabinet.  I offered $ 2.00 for it since it didn't have the matching lid and they took it.  I almost fell over.  I'm using it to hold my Keurig coffee pods, so not having the lid isn't an issue for me and so worth 2 bucks. 
  •  I was out in the garage and the man pointed at a small attached room and told me there was more stuff in there.  On the back wall, under a ton of cobwebs and behind a rake, was this bird picture.   I immediately recognized it as an Audubon print because I had done a review on Audubon's Aviary.  It was in pretty rough shape and the frame was horrid, but I love Audubon.  They were asking $ 8.00 and I got it for $ 5.00.

As soon as I got it home I carefully removed the paper backing, released the print, and cleaned it off.  Then I painted and distressed the frame, inserted the print and re-backed it.  It's now hanging in my office.  Love it!!


I have my nephew, Kyle, to thank for my Snoopy garbage can.  He happened upon it last week and grabbed it for me.  It's a little banged up and rusty, but hey, it's Snoopy and Charlie Brown.  Thanks Kyle!



The inside is pretty bad, even though I scrubbed it.  But like I said, it's still a vintage Snoopy garbage can!!


One thing I saw that I didn't buy was a nice chenille blanket.  Does anyone know how to tell if they are vintage or not?  This one was in really good condition, but since it was the first day of the sale, the owners wouldn't come down in price at all.  They wanted $ 15.00 and I wasn't about to pay that.  They told me to come back on Sunday and if it was still there, they said they would maybe lower the price.  I never went back.  What would you have done?

 
Linking up with...

18 comments:

  1. H Kim! Love your finds! My favorite is the Audubon bird print! You fixed her up beautifully! Hope you're having a good week.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelia. That was such a good find. I was very excited about it. xo

      Delete
  2. Fun stuff. LOVE the Snoopy/CB garbage can. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The garbage can is so cute! And I love that big Lance jar...what a buy! I don't know about the chenille....it's hard to pay that much. I can't really tell unless I see a tag or label. Have a fun day my friend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I need to do some research on Chenille. xo

      Delete
  4. Would love to follow you around to learn how you spot treasures!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just look for things I like. I'm always picking stuff up and saying "I bet I could sell this online" but I never do. LOL.

      Delete
  5. That sugar/creamer looks like the one that sat in the middle of my parents' dining room table forever. I spotted something like that recently, but my hubby just didn't get it. (sigh) Sorry, I've no clue about Chenille blankets ... but I think you're right to trust your instincts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sugar/creamers are such a blast from the past for me - love them!

      Delete
  6. I love the garbage can - I would have bought that too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You found some really neat things! As for that chenille blanket...I would have snapped it up in a heartbeat. I make prim Santas and one of my most popular designs are chenille Santas with vintage white accessories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see one of your santas.

      I hesitated because I can buy brand new chenille blankets from EBAY for about the same price, so I didn't think it was a good deal whether it was a new one or vintage. Any tips for me on that?

      Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
    2. I just went and looked at your Santa's at your etsy shop - so cute!

      Delete
  8. Love the stuff!! Maybe you can think of some neat sort of art to do with the rolling pins!! That would look awesome in your 'new' kitchen!! I think of you every time I work at my parents going through stuff! I ran into a different kind of pyrex coffee pot this week....it has a stand for it, for sterno maybe?? You have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I would love to see what you all have over there. I'd like to see a picture of the coffee pot and stand.

      Great idea on the rolling pins - thanks.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on finally getting your Pyrex tea pot! The picture looks so much better :D

    I seldom go back to sales unless the house was bursting and I had a lot of free time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anny - Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I've been using my tea pot and I'm so happy with it.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...