Friday, February 24, 2017

Free Furniture - My Lucky Day!!

Yesterday was my lucky day!    I have absolutely no qualms about slamming on the brakes stopping my car and grabbing a discarded piece of furniture that is laying on the curb waiting for the trash man.  Come on...  I know some of you do that too.  Anyway....

Image result for slamming on the brakes


Yesterday morning we left our house and headed over to an estate sale.  As we turned the corner I noticed that the house behind us had a pile of furniture out in front by the curb so we stopped to investigate.  I saw some stuff I wanted but since we had my car, we went to the estate sale first and then headed back.   Believe me when I tell you my heart was in my throat because I was so worried that somebody would get there before us and get all that good junk.

When we pulled up there was a woman out in the driveway so I jumped out and asked her if she was throwing out all that furniture.  She said yes and that I could take anything I wanted.  Then she mentioned that they had to put her mom in a nursing home, had sold the house, and had to have the house empty by tomorrow for the closing.  She asked me if I wanted to come inside and see what else they were throwing out.  

OMG - that's heaven to a junker's ears, isn't it?  Was she kidding me????  I couldn't get in that house fast enough.   It was mostly a lot of garbage left but she did have some furniture that I was interested in.  I played it cool and poked around a bit since she said she thought her brother might want what was left.  I sent Louie home for our truck and I went back outside and guarded a cedar chest, a waterfall dresser and mirror, a small drop leaf table and a cane.





We took everything home and unloaded it and all the while I kept saying I wanted the tall secretary and matching chest that she had in the house.  I headed inside to my office to work and Louie shouted that he was going to be outside in the garage.  20 minutes later he was back with another truckload - the tall secretary I wanted with the matching chest and mirror, a large drop leaf table, and a small decorative side table.   Everything was FREE!!!  The lady said her brother decided he didn't want anything and they were so glad to give everything to someone who wanted it instead of it going to the dump.  She said some of it was her grandmothers stuff and really old.  







I'll tell you - I am giddy!!  Now we have plenty of projects to work on for awhile.  I spent all last night pouring over Pinterest and trying to decide how I want to re-do everything.  And again, I have to thank my fantastic husband for going back and scoring some more great stuff for us.  If you remember, he went above and beyond the call of duty last week when he got that vintage trunk for me.   How lucky am I???

14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! That tall secretary is GORGEOUS! And I'm sure she was glad that you hauled the things away. I'm afraid that happens to so many people. They have a house full of furniture that they can't use. Most people around here call one of the charities to haul it away...we see it all the time. I'm so happy for you. You do so much for others...you will always be blessed! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. I can't wait to start working on some of it.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a great day for you AND the lady who was cleaning out the house! I have been heartbroken when I've been forced to toss perfectly good stuff because no one wanted it, I would have been delighted to give it to a good home, so I'm sure you made her happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did seem happy that we took it. It would kill me to throw away good furniture like that.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you're back at it. What great finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost that time of year that I can start working on stuff outside again.

      Delete
  4. It's kismet! I'd love to stumble across a cedar chest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find them every once in awhile. I re-did one for myself a while back. I think I did a blog post on it.

      Delete
  5. You saved a lot of stuff from going to the landfill! Brooke used to work as a hydrogeologist and found that landfills usually contaminate the water supply and soil of the communities in which they are located. Not to mention the fact that no one wants a landfill placed in their community, so landfills (and incinerators) end up in low-income communities. By re-using and re-purposing items you and Louie are doing a tremendous service to the rest of us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike. That's an excellent way of looking at it. Plus we get the added benefit of having the fun of refinishing everything. And of course selling it. :-)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...