Monday, February 13, 2017

Estate Sales Feb. 13, 2017

We only found 1 estate sale this weekend, but we visited it THREE times.  Crazy, I know.  It wasn't because they had a ton of good stuff either.  It was just that I had my eye on something in particular and I was biding my time....

We first went on Saturday, which was the opening day and got there about an hour and a half after it opened.  I hate standing in line for these things, so we went a little later and walked right in.  OMG, it was packed with people.  There were 3 floors to explore and we were there for an hour.  Here's what I picked up the first day....

A Jack Daniels commemorative whiskey tin with matching whiskey glasses.....


No bottle of Jack Daniels tho - LOL.   It would make a super gift for someone.  All they have to do is add their own bottle of JD.


Three brass belt buckles.  I think they should sell with no problem, especially the Chevy one...


Brushes which I go through like crazy...


A nice Jack Daniels tray.  This would go nicely paired with the above mentioned commemorative tin, don't you think?  Perfect for a man cave.


This tin canister is a first for me.  I've never heard of this company and I rarely find yellow tins.  Plus it's a square tin, which is sort of different...


A felt covered camping canteen that I don't think has ever been used, and 2 tin cups...


A Mirro 12 piece camping set, still in the original box, although the box has seen better days.  Everything in it needs a really good cleaning, but all the pieces are in great shape.  Wouldn't this be cute for a camper or lake house?



I've been looking for a 3 tier silver tray to display my bracelets on and this one will get a quick make over...



So as we rummaged around the house I came across a vintage steamer trunk, and you know how much I love re-doing old trunks....




And it was a big trunk, like the one I bought and re-did here.   That trunk turned out so nice and was one of my favorite ones that I've done.  Do you remember this one?


I had re-done the interior with vintage sheet music....


Anyway, this trunk was stuck in a corner of  the enclosed back porch and nobody was even giving it a second glance.  I pried it open and it was stuffed with old blankets and the interior paper was in bad condition, which is pretty normal.  The main lock was broken, but that's not a problem because Louie can drill them out and I can buy a new one.





So I sent Louie off to find out what they wanted for it since it wasn't priced.  He came back shaking his head, "$ 80.00."  Well there is no way in hell I am paying  $ 80.00 for a trunk so we paid for the other items and we left with me talking all the way home about how much I wanted that damn trunk.

Sunday we got up and headed back over there at 9:30 am.  The trunk was still sitting where I had originally seen it.  Louie went and talked to the estate sale guy and he told Louie he'd take off 50% today and he'd throw in the blankets that were inside of it.  Yuck, I did not want the blankets so Louie told him we'd pay $ 30.00 and we'd leave the blankets.  Well, the guy didn't want to take that deal so we left and I was sort of steaming.  Now I really wanted that trunk!

We went home and did some stuff around the house and at 1:00 Louie told me to grab my coat.  The estate sale was going to close at 2:00 and he wanted one more shot at that trunk.  When we got there it was still sitting in the corner where we had left it.  Louie walked into the other room where a different man was sitting at the register and Louie told him we'd take the trunk off his hands for
$ 20.00.  The guy didn't even bat an eye, just held out his hand and said "Sold!"   This was me doing a happy dance!




Do I have the best husband in the world or what???  The first order of business will be to completely clean this entire truck and then let it sit outside for a few days in the fresh air.  I cannot wait to start working on it.


16 comments:

  1. Yippie! You won and yes you do have a wonderful husband! I'm glad you got it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. Can't wait to start it. I have it on the back deck airing out while I finish up another one that I'm working on.

      Delete
  2. I need a trunk to display blankets in my new booth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you haven't come across any with all the traveling you do.

      Delete
  3. Way to go, Kim and Lou!! I'm looking forward to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That trunk looks like something you'd see on American Pickers or Pawn Stars. It sounds like you got a great bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a steal! :)
    You two need to write a tutorial for the rest of us neophytes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You found so much great stuff Kim!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. The silver trays have already been re-done. I'm waiting on my husband to start removing the lock on the trunk.

      Delete
  7. Pretty good haul for one sale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I was pretty happy with the trunk, I'll tell ya!

      Delete
  8. Love this story! And your "happy dance" gave me a much needed laugh! So glad you got your trunk...and at a great price! Your hubby is a gem. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...