Monday, November 9, 2015

Visiting Colorado 2015 Day 4 Mount Falcon/Hudson Gardens

We packed so much into our last full day that I'm going to have to break it up into 2 posts.  If you missed my other posts, you can go back and catch up on Day 1, Day 2 and Day 3 if you like.

Day 4 was a Sunday and I dragged Chablis out of bed we got up nice and early.  Since it was a Sunday in October, you know what that means - Football.  So the guys were all getting together to watch the Bears lose (no surprise) and the girls planned a day out.

Chablis and I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and made the short drive over to Mount Falcon to get in an early morning hike before meeting up with the other girls.




Right near the parking lots were all these picnic pavilions with sweeping views.  What a great place to sit and grill some lunch....


I took the opportunity to do a little phooning....



I could have sat there for hours  - what a view!


Then we took off down the trail...


with frequent stops because Chablis kept wanting me to take her picture....




The interesting thing about Mount Falcon is that there used to be a house and the beginnings of a Castle there.  I have a brochure about it but Chablis already stuck it in her memory frame, so I'll tell you what I remember.  Mr. Walker built a house up there sometime in the early 1900's.  He started to build a castle with the hopes of it becoming a retreat for the US presidents.   I don't think the castle was ever completed, maybe because of WW1 or WW2.  At some point the house burned down.  Now all that is left are the remains of both buildings.  Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to hike far enough to see either spot, but you can be sure I will do that the next time we're out there.



We just sort of meandered around the trail, stopping to take a ton of photos.  It's so darn pretty up there that every view is picture worthy.



But like I said, we were pressed for time so we only went about a mile and a half before we had to turn around and high tail it over to my sisters house.  We picked up my mom, both my sisters and my niece and we headed over to Hudson Gardens.

Hudson Gardens is beautiful and its one of my sisters favorite places.  If you're ever in Littleton, you should stop - plus it's free.  I'm a big fan of free!


It's a lovely place to walk around and very relaxing.


My dad always had us sit and pose like this when we were kids so we always laugh and make sure to do one of these whenever we're together.....


They have several different areas to enjoy, like rose gardens, vegetable gardens and water gardens....






I think the water gardens are my favorite....




Mom and her girls.....

Next post will be the rest of the day.....  See you then.  And if you missed the post about joining Ebates and getting free money back for on line purchases, check it out.

14 comments:

  1. This seems to be such a great trip with your family!!....and so Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really nice trip with lots of activity packed into a short period of time.

      Delete
  2. More fun for everyone - well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. You would have enjoyed the hiking out there.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous scenery! I'd be in Heaven out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its truly gorgeous there - especially out in the mountains.

      Delete
  4. It really is God's country! What a fabulous trip and I went back and looked at more of your photos. It sure makes me want to go back for a visit...it's been years! We used to go in the Fall and enjoy the aspen trees in full color. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try, altho the mountains at your retreat house are pretty darn impressive as well.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful place! The photos are adorable!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos of you and your sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. We always try to remember to get one. I should gather them all up and do a photo frame.

      Delete
  7. Those mountain vistas are breathtaking. Did the altitude affect y'all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not at all, which kind of surprised me. I must be in better shape than I think. LOL.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...