Wednesday, July 2, 2014

My Mom is My Inspiration

I mentioned before that my mom is fighting breast cancer.  Her rounds of chemo are completed and she worked through it like a champ.  She has a couple of weeks to rest and recuperate before her radiation begins, so my dad brought her down to the lake for a week to relax and regain her strength.

The plan was for them to lay around under the beach umbrellas, read, take lots of naps and go for leisurely pontoon rides.  But the very first morning mom was up and making her famous French toast for everyone.


We quickly found a routine that worked for my parents - after breakfast we would go out for a short excursion and do something, like find a geocache or go for a short walk in the woods....



Dad's geo-senses were right on and I think he found more caches than I did that week...







After lunch they would nap for awhile and then get up and sit outside in the shade and read until dinner.  One night we had our annual fish fry and mom even breaded the fish!


After dinner I'd take them fishing for awhile, where my dad kicked our asses and totally out-fished us this year.  I also have to say that they lost the least amount of bobbers and hooks this year.  Their fishing skills have definitely improved.




...and then for a boat ride until sunset...




The last night we always have our traditional campfire and roasting of the s'mores.  Mom and dad look relaxed, don't you think?




We also managed to squeeze in 2 small excursions but I'll tell you about those in some posts next week.  My mom's only complaint was that she got tired easily and it was frustrating to not be able to just get up and do the things she wanted to do.  But I think she did a great job and she continues to show me what real inner strength and determination is all about.  I'm so proud of you mom.  And I'm so grateful to my dad, who has worked so tirelessly and continually, caring for her and taking her back and forth to the hospital and to her many doctors appointments.  They are truly a shining example of love and partnership.

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Mum, your an inspiration to everyone. Keep positive and take this as they go, this girl is thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Heather - we'll take all the positive thoughts and prayers we can get!

      Delete
  3. Your Mom (and Dad) are an inspiration to us all!! Thanks for sharing and give your Mom a great big hug from one of your blog buddies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so touching. I feel your Mum is your inspiration because it seems you have a lot of her traits! Please tell her I'm so proud of her and praying for her. Your Dad is quite the fisherman too! Enjoy every minute of everyday with them! I'm glad you all had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dolly. My parents have always been very good examples to my sisters and I. We have been blessed.

      Delete
  5. What a sweet tribute to your mother. Looks like a wonderful week together. Hope her health continues to improve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - she's gearing up for round 2. Her attitude is excellent and that's half the battle.

      Delete
  6. What a sweet story to share! It's wonderful to hear that Aunt Kathie is coming along so well-I'm sure the support from Uncle Ron & all the family has a lot to do with that. Looks like a great place for all of you to spend some time together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cuz. My dad is truly her right hand. I don't know what she'd do without him. I'm so glad you came by and read this! xo

      Delete
  7. Your mother is so beautiful and an inspiration to us all. None of us knows what the future holds...we will each face challenges. Oh, to be brave and loving like your mother is. I'm keeping her in my prayers my friend. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane - that truly means so much to me. xo

      Delete
  8. I envy you, Kim. You are blessed to have a close relationship with your parents. Cherish every moment you have with them. I'm sure they do with you. Your Mom looks like a scrapper. I think it's great that your Dad takes such good care of her, and her needs. They seem to be soul mates. Gotta love that!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Debbie, I do feel blessed. And my parents would be lost without each other. They have been together for over 60years. Have a good holiday. xo

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...