The paint I used for the cabinets was Glidden High Endurance in the color Windy Sea Breeze. It's a super pale sea foam green. I taped off the hardware on the cabinet doors instead of completely removing each hinge. That saved a lot of time and if I got a little paint on some of the hardware it wasn't a big deal, because afterwards I just sanded all the hardware a little bit anyway.
The day we started on the cabinets it was cold and raining outside, so we just spread plastic tarps on the counters and kitchen table and then painted all the doors inside the house. All the doors and the outside of the cabinets needed 3 coats of paint. I placed fans around the room to speed up the drying process between coats.
The backsplash behind the stove had a line where the original home owner had pieced the 2 laminate sheets together. It always bugged me the way it looked. Chablis suggested sticking a shelf in there. Why didn't I ever think of that before??
We went out to the garage, found and cut down an old piece of wood, painted and distressed it and nailed it in place. It worked perfectly!
It actually took us 4 whole days to completely remove, clean, sand, paint, distress and then re-install all the cabinets. It helped that after the first day the sun came out and it warmed up, so we were able to move the tarps out onto the deck and paint the doors outside. We were able to paint more doors at a time, plus the sun and wind helped to dry them quicker. We also had to sand everything down before we started and then between the 2nd and 3rd coats of paint. The whole process was very time consuming.
We let everything dry really good overnight, and then each morning Chablis would lightly distress everything we had done the day before. We then re-hung the doors as we completed each section of the kitchen. It was nice to see how it was coming along and it helped me to feel like we were making progress.
The next post will show the completed kitchen - please come back on Friday and take a look!