Friday, April 11, 2014

Re-Painted Hallway

Eight years ago we bought our lake house in Kentucky.  Did I mention that it needed a lot of work?  Talk about your fix-er-upper!  We have slowly been making improvements and this spring we decided to repaint the back hallway.  Originally it had wall paper on it, then the former owner had painted over the wallpaper and rag painted over that.  I did not care for the paint job at all.  But it was one of those things that I could live with until we got around to it.


Don't mind the really dusty air vent.  It doesn't detach from the wall so I have to figure out a way to get it scrubbed.  It's no problem to vacuum the dust out of it, but it's hard to wash.  Any ideas?





We painted the ceiling and trim white.  The original wallpaper must have been put down with super glue and it was not coming off, so we just left it on and painted over it.  It turned out fine except for a few spots where the wallpaper was put on wrinkled. 


Chablis solved the lumpy wallpaper problem by making me a sign and camouflaging the spot.  LOL.  Not a bad idea, huh?

Louie's nickname is Nipper, so Chablis made him a sign and hung it over one of the doorways....


When I was growing up, being a Girl Scout was a huge part of my life.  I attribute my adventurous spirit and can-do attitude to the things I learned by being a scout.  I did a blog post about it here.   Several years ago I took all my original badges and framed them....


A couple of week ago I was at an estate sale and found an old Boy Scout leaders uniform shirt that had a bunch of badges sewn on it.  I bought it, took it home, removed all the badges and put them in a frame along with a Norman Rockwell print of a scout carrying a little girl.    Both of these scouting frames are now hanging in the Lake house hallway.


 
I'm so glad the hallway is finally finished.  Check that off the list.  Now on to the kitchen.  Stay tuned!

20 comments:

  1. Kim - You and Chablis did a great job! The hallway looks so much better! I love your frames of scout badges - especially yours. Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moi. I was proud of those badges and I'm glad my mom kept them for me.

      Delete
  2. The hall looks loads better. I never was a big fan of sponge painting. How neat to have your badges framed. And cleaning that vent? Patience and a Q-tip??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ick - that sounds like too much work. LOL - the crappie are calling....

      Delete
  3. Wow - that looks like it was a lot of work. I'll bet you are pleased with the results. Hey, I was a Girl Scout too. I like what you've done with your old patches. I still have my old uniform vest with all my badges and a coat with all my patches sewn on the back. And if that wasn't enough, I was also my daughter's Girl Scout leader for 7 years. A great organization!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I would have kept the sash that we wore with the badges sewn on - that would have been nice to have especially since I don't think they use the sash anymore.

      I also wish I still had all the cool patches from the 70s' that I had on my jean jacket.

      Delete
  4. That looks good Kim. I love the color! That vent looks like mine but it opens down. I don't know about yours if it doesn't have those little thingies on top to slide and pull down..How do you change the filter? Or does it not have a filter..Love the hall looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. It does swing down to insert a filter but I can't remove it to wash in the tub. I guess I could spread a tarp underneath it and spray it down with a cleaner?

      Delete
  5. I wanted to add I love your girl scout badges framed! The Norman Rockwell and badges looks great. I should have known you were in the Girl Scouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved being a girl scout - what a great organization.

      Delete
  6. It looks very good! I also love your header.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you so much and thanks for stopping by and leaving a message!

      Delete
  7. I love the new paint job on the hallway, it looks more modern and even wider!!! I would have suggested the tarp idea, spraying it with windex or a white vinegar mixture?! Then vacuum with a brush???

    Love the signage and badge displays, isn't it fun personalizing your special place? I love it!! It makes it feel even more like home!!! I am anxiously awaiting the new kitchen pics, our next big project is updating the bathroom fixtures/vanities....but it will be a little while yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun altho its a lot of work. Sometimes I feel like the work never ends. LOL.

      That hallway is narrow too.

      Delete
  8. The hallway looks great! Framing those badges was a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were put away in my scrapbook, but I never got to enjoy seeing them, so I'm glad I thought of framing them.

      Delete
  9. Reading the previous post you linked sure makes me smile! I loved being a Brownie, then 'flying up' to big-Girl Scout status and wearing those 'regulation socks." My mom was a Troop leader, as well! I've no idea what happened to my uniforms or the badges; but love what you've done. Why, that lake house is fast turning into a charming home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many people remember the term "flying up!" You made me smile.

      Delete
  10. The horror story I could tell about that rag or feather painting with a paint brush. Mine was not over wallpaper....thank goodness. But my whole kitchen was painted like that, white walls, dark brown feather painting....ceiling also!!! Yes, ceiling. Heavy in spots, light in others......oh it was a mess. Wallpaper covered it all. You did an awesome job...amazing what a little paint and time can do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I cannot imagine why anyone would put that feather technique on a ceiling. Ugh.

      I appreciate you stopping by and leaving a comment. :-)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...