Thursday, April 17, 2014

Norman Rockwell Prints

I'm a big fan of Norman Rockwell.  He was a famous 20th century painter and illustrator whose works graced the covers of The Saturday Evening Post Magazine, Look Magazine and the Boy Scouts of America.  I liked the simplicity of his work, and how he depicted the American culture at that time.

Last year I found a book at the library book sale about Norman Rockwell and it has dozens of prints of his illustrations.  It cost me a quarter!  That was a quarter well spent.  I've since carefully removed many of my favorite paintings and framed them to hang at the lake house.  Most of my favorites have something to do with water or the scouts.

"The Stay at Homes" is my absolute favorite print and I could never find a copy of it anyplace.  Imagine how thrilled I was to see this on the last page of that library book I bought.


This "No Swimming" print is a cute one and I especially like it because Norman revisited the idea many years later and did another illustration of the same boys, all grown up.  How cute is that?



I have these prints hanging in the lake house bathroom....


And here's the print of the boy scout that I liked so much....


These are just a few of my favorites that I have hanging around the house.  Are you familiar with Norman Rockwell?  Which ones do you remember and like?

9 comments:

  1. Norman Rockwell was my Dad's absolute favorite! We bought him many books, and he even subscribed to the Saturday Evening Post! Jess put up a pic in his honor at her houses...I think it's called 'The Runaway'! I will keep you in mind when I finally get through all his things!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have to say Norman Rockwell was one of the best. I'm a bit surprised at the lack of current popularity, however, so am glad to see your post. I have a book of his work for sale in my Etsy shop, and has received hardly any views! Anyway, I like many of his paintings. Hard to pick a fave. I do really like his portraits of the cast of the Stagecoach remake of the 60s. They're wonderful. I have a small movie poster reprint of Stagecoach that shows these portraits. Wish it was bigger though. Did you know NR has a bit part in that movie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey-- I know which one is my favorite: The Dugout. Here is a link if anyone wants to look:
    http://www.rakuten.com/prod/dugout-poster-print-by-norman-rockwell-12-x-15/223494909.html?listingId=203848675&scid=pla_google_DiscountPosters&adid=18179&gclid=CK3YyOW_570CFbQWMgodNwkAfA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one - especially since their shirts say "Chicago."

      Delete
  4. What great prints to have at your lakehouse! I love his work also! I saw in a Flea Market magazine that one of this years most sought after collectibles is scouting badges. You're really on top of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - who would guess?? I'm finally in tune with the times. I'm usually a day late and a dollar short. :-)

      Delete
  5. You're finding neat ways to decorate your lake house! LOVE these neat illustrations...especially no swimming! I don't really have a favorite...love them all! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...