Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Interview - Dolly's Designs and My New Apron

I'd like to introduce you to my blogger friend Dolly, from over at Dolly's Designs and Hibiscus House.   She also has a cooking blog called Dolly is Cooking.   


Dolly is the creative force behind a wide variety of hand crafted, one of a kind items - Vintage pattern designs, aprons, crocheted and knitted products, hand sculpted items, quilts and pillow covers.  This is one busy lady!

 



I kept seeing all these great aprons that Dolly was creating and when she designed one based on her grandmother Cora's original pattern, I jumped on it.  I loved the bright blue color with the white piping and the fabric she used was a tea pattern - hey, all I drink all day long is iced tea.  I had to have that apron!  What do you think?





Dolly has a fascinating history and I asked her to stop by here and share her story with us.....

Me (dolly) and one of my awful doll dresses at 4 years old  - looks like I tied it on with who knows what.

Which blog came first - Hibiscus House, Dolly is Cooking or Dolly’s Designs?  And what is the difference between the two?
Hibiscus House was first. It was to cover all subjects. Dolly is Cooking was born as a necessity, because I cooked more than I realized.  Dolly's designs came a little later as an outlet for the creative side that I knew would once again grow. 

What inspired you to start your blogs? 

Truthfully I had never even heard of a blog until I watched the movie Julie & Julia with Meryl Streep and Amy Adams.  Amy Adams wrote a blog about Julia Child's French Cooking.  I thought I would like to write a blog.

You like to sew and crochet.  How did you get started?
I started sewing doll clothes as a child and at 12 years old in Home Economics Class I made my first real item.  It was an apron which I still have to this day.  I really enjoy sewing and my beautiful little girls wore many dresses because of this love.  Crochet, began after years of watching my "Grandma Cora" do it.  I had to take a course to learn but did so quickly.  It is a very restful past time.
 
 


What other crafty things do you enjoy doing?
I enjoy so much: sculpting, paper Mache, doll making, quilting, ceramics, needlepoint, crewel, cross stitch, home decorating;  The idea of making something out of nothing intrigues me.  I also think gardening is an art form, with a blank slate (yard) colors, shapes, styles of plants all an art form.  Cooking is another art form; to be able to make something beautiful that actually is delicious.

CC Seahorse Tinkerbell Smock Apron
 
Do you have a particular item that you like to make the most?  

I can't say that I do.  Things change at different times, right now It seems that aprons are making a come back.  People like to wear and collect them.  Sculpting Santa's has always been a favorite to me, because people always like them.

Tell us a little about your family.  

Chuck and I live on family land where Hibiscus House is that has been in the family for over 150 years.  We have 4 children between us and 5 grandchildren.  I stay very busy at home and he has always been in some form of law enforcement. 
 

Catie Cole Designs Little Bird Purse


You currently live in SC.  What’s your favorite feature about your state?  
How I love South Carolina! Favorite feature(s): It is a Southern State, smiling faces, friendly places.  Beautiful from the shores to the foothills. Our oak lined drives hanging with moss, dirt roads to walk bare foot, our porches lined with rockers, our Rainbow Row in Charleston, our beaches complete with our state dance "The Shag".  Our history and our ancestors mean a lot to us.  We are deeply rooted; home and family mean so much to us.  It is a way of life. Would you like a glass of sweet tea with lemon?  

CC Seahorse Green Canvas Tote
What type of work did you do when you were in clothing retail? 
I started in the ladies apparel of a nationwide department store. Then on to Supervisor in charge of all the store's merchandise.  I was one of the first with a great team to implement an innovative new program that is now used in the chain. I loved the job because it was detail oriented and gave me good visual display experience.
 
What do you like to do for fun?
I enjoy and make the most of each day, there are not enough hours in the day, though. I love to spend time with the family.  I love to travel, to meet new people, to tell their stories. I guess now I'm a roving reporter.  Chuck and I just got back from a trip to Historic Camden where I interviewed Mr. Ross Beard, the Godson of the famous FBI G Man Melvin Purvis.  One of our hometown heroes.  One could write a book about that Southern Gentleman! Oh, I forgot I love to go antiquing! 
I now write for another blog..  Savannah Attic.  This is not my blog, I am a part of the Savannah Attic Team.  http://savannahattic.com/ 
I'm thankful to God for everyday. He has given us all so many talents if we only use them.  I am so honored that you asked me to do this.  Thank you Kim.
 
Thank you Dolly.  I appreciate you coming by and sharing your story and your talents with us.  And I love my apron!  I think I can now officially say that I have started an apron collection.
 
Please visit one of dolly blogs as well as her FB page and her Etsy shop.  

Dolly's Designs 
Hibiscus House
Dolly is Cooking

Dolly's Designs Etsy Shop
Dolly's Designs FB page.

13 comments:

  1. Busy girl indeed! Your apron is cute! Those cobbler types are so functional. When my daughter was a tot, my sister made one for me to wear at feeding time-- in case she spit food on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is so pretty that I almost hate to get food on it.

      Delete
  2. Her aprons are really cute! Nice to get to know a fellow blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part about blogging is the awesome people I have met, who are so talented. It's such a good way to meet people from around the world that I would never have met otherwise.

      Delete
  3. Love the aprons and the story! I have a few aprons myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I officially have 5 aprons now and I love finding them at garage sales too.

      Delete
  4. Love the aprons! Reminds me of my Grandma - she wore aprons all of the time :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your apron!! My goodness that is a busy lady, and thank you so much for sharing her with us. Awesome post Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat post. Love your apron. You model it so well, Kim! Dolly sure is a talented lady! She keeps herself busy with so many different things....she's pretty amazing! How nice of you to share about another blogger.
    Debbie
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. The apron is so pretty I almost hate to wear it. :-)

      Delete
  7. I love it and it's perfect for you! I love meeting someone new that makes pretty things that I like. Thanks for the links and the nice feature! Enjoy your day my friend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...