Sunday, April 6, 2014

My Cedar Chest Found a Home

Last summer I found an old Lane Cedar Hope Chest at a garage sale and I had to snatch it up.  It was in pretty rough shape, but we cleaned it up, took the sander to it, re-stained it and made it look like new.  You can read my original post about this work-in-progress here.

Last week we took the chest down to the lake house and it's now in the front room....


I always wanted a Lane cedar chest so I was very excited to get this one.  It's all the more special because I waited so long for it and because I refinished it myself.  I know I'll get years of use from it and it's spot at the lake house is the perfect place for it to be.

12 comments:

  1. Looks like you did a good job. As a child I watched my mother refinish a lot of things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that brings back happy memories for you John.

      Delete
  2. That's beautiful. I always wanted a Lane chest, too, it seemed like such a glamorous idea to me as a child. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were such a big deal to have in the 1970's for some reason. I'm glad I finally got one. Better late than never.

      Delete
  3. Looks great! I remember those Lane ads in magazines when I was a teen. I always wanted one too but never got one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I run across them every once in awhile at yard sales. It's so sad to see the bad condition some of them are in.

      Delete
  4. Why, it's so lovely! I've a hunch, the original owner would be so pleased to know of your restoration. (Uh-oh, here I go weaving stories from my imagination again.)
    One of my own best-loved possessions is my mother's (pre-Lane) hope chest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see a picture of it.

      It always makes me feel good to restore a piece of furniture like that.

      Delete
  5. It looks Awesome Kim, you did a great job!! I remember getting a mini lane chest as a graduation gift....it was about 5 inches by 3 inches! I was so proud and always hoped to get one that was 'full sized" My Grandfather willed me his cedar chest when he passed away (pre-lane) I refinished it and it will soon find it's way to Ft. Myers!! It will mean so much more to you because you did it yourself!! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see a picture of it at your Ft. Myers home!

      Delete
  6. I remember this chest. It looks great Kim. Perfect by that window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I think it needs a seat cushion so I can sit on it and read.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...