Friday, April 18, 2014

LBL Cache #3 - Edsel

Our recent geocaching trip to the Kentucky Lakes LBL region had us in hot pursuit of several good geocaches, two of which I highlighted here and here.  The third cache, and my favorite of the day, was named Turkey Bay ATV Series - Edsel.

My last post left off with us starting down this steep and rocky ATV trail....


 Is this a centipede?  Can you see it?  I've never seen a yellow one before....


There was a steady stream of ATV's and motor bikes zooming up and down the trails.  That really looked like fun.  Plus it had rained the day before so everything was rather muddy and they were kicking up mud everywhere.  You can just make out another ATV coming down the hill on the right side of the picture....
 

Then off and up the next hill they went....


Up ahead we spotted the remains of an old Edsel and the location of the geocache....


Isn't this crazy, out in the middle of nowhere?  There's a geocache hidden someplace in this vicinity...


Kyle playing mechanic....



Chablis pretending she is driving away with the car....


Ok, I had just misplaced my camera lens cover right before Chablis took this picture.  So I am smiling and literally thinking to myself "Where the heck did I lose that damn lens cap?  I can't believe I dropped it someplace.  What the heck."  I was so pissed off and then I found it in my back pocket.  Idiot!


The side door panel had this cool label imprinted on it...


Isn't the dashboard great?  I just loved this shot!  Look at all that rust....


After we found the cache and my lens cover, we had to decide which way to head back to the car.  I opted for back up the hill and retrace our steps the way we came.  Kyle and Chablis voted for hugging the shoreline and seeing if we could avoid the steep climbs.  I told Kyle to lead the way and off he went....


We almost made it all the way back and then ran smack dab into a marsh that we couldn't cross or walk around.  The parking lot is literally 100 yards across this bay, but the water was way too deep to walk across.  I think Chablis may have shed a tear....


Our only option, other than a complete back track, was straight up.  And I mean up!


Half way up the hill we found a random destroyed building.  Of course Chablis had to climb around on it....


Poor Kyle was starving.  I threw a ClifBar at him and he's sitting here thinking, "Yummmmm,  ClifBar.  This is so good."  LOL!


Chablis just sat and laughed at him.


Here we are headed back to the parking lot.  This was the original hill we had to climb at the very beginning of our journey on our way to the old tanker geocache....


I love the way these fungus grow.  Does anyone know if this is the kind that you can cook and eat?  What are they called?


Believe me when I tell you Kyle was hungry.  He practically ran the last block to the car.  It was a fun morning in the woods.  Total time was about 3 1/2 hours.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds (and looks) like a really fun trip!! Thanks for taking us along!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An Edsel? How funny. Love that marsh shot with the clouds. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That old car sure was a neat find in the woods. And I'm glad you found the lens cover...how frustrating! Have a wonderful weekend my friend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter Kim! I hope you have a great break.
    x
    Melissah from Coastal Style

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...