Saturday, April 19, 2014

Handmade Hiking Sticks

A couple of weeks ago we were hiking and geocaching at Kentucky Lake and we all picked up different sticks along the trail that we were using as hiking poles.  Go check out the story here.


We liked the cool shapes and colors of the sticks we had picked up, so we decided to keep them.  They were all very strong and sturdy, yet lightweight.  The bark had naturally peeled off of all of them and the wood was worn smooth.  We wiped them down and then simply applied a couple of layers of polyurethane to each one.  Now they are sitting at the lake house, just waiting for our next hiking adventure.


I like the way they look, sitting there in the old minnow bucket.

14 comments:

  1. These are perfect. Our hiking trails are flat so I haven't tried using a hiking stick but hubby carries one. Have a wonderful weekend my friend! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiking sticks are also useful cuz I like to poke things. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Great finds! = naturally worn :D I like them standing in the minnow bucket, too. Ready and waiting for your next hike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like they are reminding me to get my butt outside. :-)

      Delete
  3. I agree ... very cool! I'm not a hiker - yet, I'm inexplicably drawn to the handmade walking sticks featured now and then at outdoor arts/crafts festivals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if you got a hiking stick you'd be inclined to hike. :-)

      Delete
  4. I have two sticks in my trunk now that I picked up and liked- I have not done the polyurethane but that's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an awesome twisted branch that my husband found me last year that I put polyurethane on. It still has the bark on it. It looks very cool.

      Delete
  5. They turned out pretty good didn't they? I really like them. You two can turn something that no one would look at into such useful and pretty items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly. Too bad nothing I do generates money. LOL!

      Delete
  6. What a great idea! My hubby and I like to Geocache also! Because of it we have found so many interesting things - a blow hole in Mendocino - an indian grinding rock in Berry Creek - and a small old (abandoned) gold mine! The next time we go hiking I will remember your story and pick up a couple of sticks! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go geocaching in your area - that sounds like lots of interesting things that I would like! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I'll come visit your blog too!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...