Friday, April 28, 2017

White Trunk Re-do


I can't help myself - I love re-doing antique trunks!  This is the latest one that I just refinished.  I bought it at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago and this is what it looked like when we brought it home...


This trunk was by far in the worst condition of any truck I've done yet.  I have no idea what that white crap was inside.  I vacuumed it out and then washed down the entire trunk with bleach water and let it sit out outside for a few days in the sun.  Then I ripped out most of the paper because it was in really bad shape.


The side handles disintegrated so Louie removed them and then cut new handles from an old black belt.  Once he finished that he turned his attention to the lock.  Originally we thought it was broken but it just needed to be oiled.  The trunk was missing its key but I happened to have a spare one that worked so we really lucked out!

The fabric covering on the outside bottom of the trunk was badly shredded and falling off so I took a couple sheets of paper and mod podged them over the bad areas.  Once they dried I painted the entire trunk with 2 coats of white paint, including the patched areas on the bottom.  It worked like a dream and you can barely even tell the bottom was patched.



Then I lightly distressed the entire trunk, paying extra attention to the brass rivets, and finished up with a good coat of wax.




The final thing I did was grab my favorite go-to for papering trunk interiors - vintage sheet music!  It took 2 nights to do while watching TV, but it turned out great!






Every trunk I do is my new favorite.

 Available at Antiques Et Cetera in Benton, Ky.

Linking up with...

12 comments:

  1. This turned out beautiful Kim, love the music books inside and the white paint job!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to do one in white for awhile. And I use music sheets on everything!

      Delete
  2. Me wants!!! I'm in love with your idea of lining the interior with olden sheet music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done- you just keep going

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to believe it's the same trunk. You've worked wonders on this one my friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful project, Kim, and with such a fabulous interior! Sharon is featuring your trunk at this week's Vintage Charm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful - I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks Diane!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...