Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Yellowstone Trip Day 4 Morning

 Friday Sept. 10  Morning


After a good nights sleep I got up early and headed back into the Badlands where I drove over and walked the Fossil Trail which was very interesting.  It consists of a boardwalk and displays of fossils from The Badlands spanning millions of years. It was also the location of a geocache so go here if you'd like to read more about the Badlands fossils.











Then I drove the Badlands Loop Road - oh my goodness it’s just so beautiful. I saw a lot of bighorn sheep, but only a few bison which was very disappointing. Check out the colors of the rocks - they sure are beautiful!








My favorite stop was Pinnacles Overlook. It has gorgeous views of the Sage Creek Wilderness area. It was just stunning so I sat there for a long time and just looked at the scenery taking it all in. 








Another favorite stop was the Yellow Mounds. Yellow, purple, gray and red are the colors of the rock here and it is stunning to see. I walked to the top of the hill in the first picture....








For those of you interested in free camping, you can visit the Sage Creek area to spend the night. It's about a 10 mile drive down a gravel road off of Badlands Loop Road and 240. I didn't go there but my daughter and her husband camped there last year and they loved it. They woke up to Bison roaming the campground.

I had so many pictures and I did so much this day that I split it into morning and afternoon posts. Come back tomorrow to see my Day 4 afternoon at Wall Drug, Rapid City and my campsite for the night.



1 comment:

  1. My comments yesterday didn't work so I am trying again. :) What an amazing trip. I have wanted to return to the badlands ever since my family traveled through when I was 11 or 12. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...