Monday, September 22, 2014

Estate Sale Finds 9-22-14

This week end we hit one estate sale and a couple of small garage sales.  I was happy with quite a few of the things we picked up.   Let's take a look....

Chablis picked up a brand new heavy duty kitchen whisk and Pyrex measuring cup.  I got a pretty recipe box, a bag full of wooden clothespins for craft projects and this utensil holder full of red silverware.  I have no idea what this type of silverware is called, so if you know, please tell me.


A bunch of old keys and locks for crafting....


My first Pyrex refrigerator bowl with lid and the set of 3 green bowls.  All are in excellent condition.


These awesome skeleton keys, again for crafting.  It also included a brass USPS lock box tag.  Pretty cool.

4 brass bells. 
 A martini shaker but it was missing the silver topper and instead had this old Tupperware lid attached on top.  But the graphics on it are awesome and so retro.  Inside the shaker were dozens of old swizzle sticks.  A lot of them are from Las Vegas....



A cute Accent tin - never saw one like that before.  And Louie found the extension shoe horn that he's keeping for himself....


A bacon press that I have an idea for.  I don't know if it will work but we'll see.  I'll let you know when I try it.  A hanging napkin holder, and more assorted tea tins.   Chablis thought she was getting these, but since I paid for them, looks like she is outta luck.  Too bad!


A brand new glue gun with glue sticks - you can never have too many glue guns, right?  Plus 2 more tins and a Chase Sanborn coffee tin.



Chablis found a brand new set of silverware for 5 bucks.  She added it to her "If I ever move out and get my own apartment" pile that is growing by leaps and bounds in our upstairs spare room....


I couldn't believe it when Chablis found this 6 cup Pyrex tea pot.  I found the 9 cup one over the summer. 

Odds and ends for crafting like this nice pie tin, grater, 2 loaf pans and the Enamelware bowl....


I fell in love with this beautiful quilt.  I was at a garage sale and the man asked me if I wanted to see some furniture he had inside.  As we walked through the rooms he pointed out items like a dresser, a table, a television stand, a bed.  Well, I didn't need any of that, but this quilt was draped over the bed they wanted to sell.  As an afterthought I asked him if he'd like to sell the quilt.  He told me to ask his wife.  She agreed to sell and then went outside to find the matching pillow shams that were laying on a table.  I brought them home and washed them - not a spot or stain.  They are headed for the lake house....

Ok, here's my favorite find of the weekend - a vintage Wheary train case.  It's pale yellow with brown leather trim and handle....


 
 
The inside is red and not in too bad condition - not ripped, just a little discolored.  The best part was that it didn't smell at all - no musty, old odor at all.
 


The only thing missing is the key - darn.    Wheary Luggage was made in the 1930's-1950's.  I've already cleaned this up and it looks much better than what you see here.  Now I'm torn on what to do with this.  Keep it as is or re-cover it and put some new material or paper inside.  Keep it for myself or sell it?  I'm so confused!!!!!


What would you do with it?





33 comments:

  1. Good for you - a fridgie!! Hope you find more.

    Love the swizzle sticks and that little bell girl - sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - my biggest problem is that I want to keep everything I find. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm a great one to ask...at least you know what my answer will be! keep it! haha! Love the neat kitchen things and the cute bells. And the train case is beautiful! Keep it! haha! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You sure hit the jackpot! I would keep the train case. You can put it in the bathroom of your lake house! Roll up some extra towels for your guests to grab as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds! I'd love to go yard saling with you! Have you seen the switchplate covers made from old tin cans? They are on Etsy. The shop name is "Tin Can Sally".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went over and took a look - what a cool idea. How do they do that? Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  5. Hi Kim, I just wanted to let you know that your project, the "Shell Bucket" was featured at Make It Monday this week. If you would like a "Featured" button, please contact me at cmufsu@comcast.net and I will send one to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always find the most interesting things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you so much and I appreciate you coming by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  8. What are you doing with my swizzle sticks, Kim? LOL ... just kidding.
    Lately I've enjoyed an unaccustomed urge to 'get to the bottom of' several old cases of stuff that belonged to my mother -- including her varied collection of stir sticks. Of course, I couldn't bear to get rid of them - yet. ... and therein lies the problem!
    Seriously - great haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see what you dig out of your moms stuff.

      The swizzle sticks are so retro. I should have kept all the ones from when I was drinking my way thru college. LOL. Do they even USE swizzle sticks anymore??

      Delete
  9. You always find the best stuff! I love that little Pyrex pot, I hope I find one someday *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that train case! I vote for keeping it as is and keeping it! Is that two votes? Great finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - now to decide what to do with it. I have it sitting in my office and I keep looking at it. LOL.

      Delete
  11. You sure found some great treasures. My favorites are the bells and the skeleton keys. If you're unsure about the case, I'd keep it awhile, you can always let it go some other time. Thanks for sharing at our Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy. I'm pretty sure I'm keeping the case, now just to decide how to utilize it. Thanks for the party!

      Delete
  12. What a great treasure weekend! I look for skeleton keys all the time and very seldom every find even 1, you found a great lot!! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy: I snapped up those keys - they were all in a tin at the sale. I couldn't believe nobody had grabbed them. Probably because nobody saw them. That's what I get for being snoopy. :-) Thanks so much for coming by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  13. Some great finds, Kim! I'd keep the train case as is; the yellow/maroon pairing are my favorite in luggage. I had a small case in those colors while growing up--perhaps that's why. My computer is not letting me see the photo of the quilt you found :( Phewey. I would have like to have seen it. Have a terrific week-end, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana. The train case is sitting on my desk and I keep staring at it. I don't know why I love it so. LOL. I'm sorry you can't see the quilt. It's quite nice - white with blue, yellow and green embroidery. Very pretty. Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  14. I have that same bacon press...I'm dying to see what you do with it. I got nada!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...great key finds! I always hope to find them, but not so far. Thank you for sharing this week at Revisionary Life Thrifty Life Thursday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a fridgie just like yours : ) I found the bottom first for 50cents and then almost a year later found a lid for 50cents! I'm pretty sure you should keep the train case for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept the fridgie for myself and now keep butter in it. And I kept the train case as well - it now holds a bunch of crafting supplies. I just love it. Thanks for coming by and leaving a message. :-)

      Delete
  17. What cool finds! Pyrex, skeleton keys, swizzle sticks, a train case, and more... awesome! Thanks for sharing @ TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome finds!! My grandmother had one of those cases....it may be in my parents attic!! I think they also have a shaker like that...and swizzle sticks! I'm finding lots of things like that all over the place in their house!! :/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...