Thursday, June 26, 2014

Lake House Bathroom Update

I've had an on-going knock down, drag out fight with the leaking bathroom sink at the lake house for several years.  This year the sink has been winning the fight and by late spring I was emptying the overflowing cool whip container underneath the sink on a daily basis.  You can read about that post here.

It got to the point where we had to bite the bullet and replace the entire sink, vanity, pipes and faucet.  Believe me when I tell you I did not want to tackle this project.  Just tearing out the old sink and vanity resulted in a huge hole in one wall and part of the floor tiles broken and chipped.  Sigh....  Fortunately I am pretty good with spackle and quickly fixed and repainted the wall.


Our lake house is located 30 miles from a major city and the only close place to buy a new sink and vanity was a little store in town that apparently stocks only leftover items from the 1970's.  When Louie came back from town, my heart sank when I looked in the back of the truck and saw an ugly dark wooden vanity.  We were at the point of no return and I didn't have any choice, so I told Louie to go ahead and install it and I'd do the next best thing - paint the whole thing later!  If you look closely you can see where the floor tiles are now missing even though I tried to cover them with a throw rug.  LOL!




One word of advice - never buy an old faucet from the 1970's, even if it's quote-unquote new in the box.  Louie went to all the trouble of installing it and checking to be sure there were no leaks.  Then the very first time we turned it on to actually use it, something snapped off inside and the entire faucet broke, resulting in water spraying everywhere.  Did I ever mention how much I despise working with water and plumbing?  So back into the car we went, drove all the way to town, went to Walmart and got another new faucet.  Back to the house, uninstall the broken faucet and then install the new faucet.  I don't even want to tell you how pissed off we were by that point.

Anyway, the 2nd new faucet worked, so Chablis and I removed all the hardware from the cabinet, filled in the holes and quickly applied 2 coats of white paint to the vanity.  Then she distressed it and now we have a new bathroom vanity we can live with.  With no leaks!!


Note the nice patch job I did on the wall.  :-)




I'm not making any promises on when the floor tiles will ever be replaced.....

 
Linking up with

18 comments:

  1. It looks great! I love the wall color, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vanity looks great now, but what a job. Plumbing is the worst. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate plumbing with a passion. I should take a class.... xo

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a major pain, but it looks nice now. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. It needed to be done for the longest time, but we kept putting it off. Ugh.

      Delete
  4. Cover up missing floor tiles with bathmat - sounds like my kind of renovation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The vanity looks much better in white. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I couldn't have left that dark wood alone. Ick.

      Delete
  6. Nice job!!! It looks amazing!!

    We have to do this in all 3 bathrooms in our house in Ft. Myers!! Not looking forward to it!! That's a project down the road for us, as of now we have no leaks..., just need to modernize...I did find some tiles in the garage though...hope there are enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! you're like Tim the Tool Man!! except you're Kim the Tool Woman!!!
    I would NEVER attempt to do the things that you do! The new vanity looks terrific! I like that you even distressed it!
    Good job!!!
    Debbie
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I have to give Louie the credit for this one cuz he did most of the work. But I learned a lot and could probably do it myself next time. I hope there never IS a next time tho. Enjoy your weekend. xo

      Delete
  8. Fantastic Kim. What a difference white paint and some TLC makes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...