Saturday, January 25, 2014

What I'm Learning From Janathon

If there's one thing I've learned from doing Janathon, it's that you have to make an honest commitment to exercise.  I started actively working out when I was 19 and I joined our local gym and I started working out with weights.  In the years since, I've joined and quit numerous gyms - usually I'll join, go pretty regularly for a year and then quit and revert to floor exercises, bike riding and hiking in the woods.  Nothing real strenuous, but enough to convince myself, most of the time, that I was working out on a consistent basis. 



But you know how it is - life just gets in the way.   I had 2 kids, my husband and I have always been self employed, we like to fish and hunt.  Sometimes I'd rather sit on the sofa and read a book or flip through blogs than work out.  Or maybe I want to go out back and refinish a piece of furniture, or sit and watch a movie.  And slowly exercise falls off my radar again until one day I look in the mirror or step on the scale and see that a few pounds have crept on and then I decide to start working out again.  It's a vicious cycle.  Does any of this sound familiar?



Janathon has really shown me how difficult it can sometimes be to make that commitment to exercise and keep at it.  But the rewards are so great.  And I feel good when I've completed my workout for the day.  I can honestly say that if I didn't commit to Janathon this month, that I would not have worked out every day.  Have I worked out to my full potential every day?  No, I can honestly say I haven't.  Maybe I need to work on that a little.  So this has been a good thing.

Today I started off with 12 minutes of floor exercises and leg stretches.  Then I walked 1 mile on a 10 incline at 2.7 speed for 22.14 and burned 122 calories.

You can read my Janathon daily journal here.

10 comments:

  1. That's awesome Kim.....whether you realize it or not, you are pushing those of us sitting on the couch to rethink it and start or at least think about started it too!! Thanks and keep on working I'm gonna get off of this couch one day real soon I promise!!
    ::Hugs::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could inspire even one person to get out and exercise , then I'd be happy!

      Delete
  2. Great job for sticking with your exercise program. It's never easy. I still have many, many days where I try to talk myself out of going to the gym or taking a run. But I tell myself I'll feel better if I go. And I always do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine the great work out you get on your fabulous hikes or on your ski trips!! I'm jealous.

      Delete
  3. Sounds very familiar! That's what I love about Janathon though and the time of year it is, when you commit to it you do it and in January otherwise lets be honest we probably wouldn't otherwise would we?! Great Janthoning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. It is so hard to stick to an exercise program. I can't do a lot more than walk, swim, and ride a stationary bike since my knee replacements. Right now I am waiting for the sub zero temps to warm up some and the slick sidewalks to clear so I can get back to walking. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, those slippery sidewalks would not be good for anyone. Stay warm! xo

      Delete
  5. Sounds great! But I'm a bit confused by this "Janathon" thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a combination of JANuary and marATHON. You commit to working out each day in January (like a marathon exercise session) and then blog about it.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...