Sunday, July 28, 2013

Massillon Bridge and an Ancient Indian Trail

We recently spent the day geocaching in Forest Park, Illinois and we visited a really interesting cemetery named Forest Home Cemetery.  Forest Home was originally an old Indian burial ground until 1835.  Then for awhile it was 2 separate cemeteries - Forest Home, established in 1877, and a German cemetery established in 1873 named Waldheim, which means Forest Home.  The 2 cemeteries then merged in 1969.  One of the charming aspects of this cemetery is that you can still see the original cobblestone pavement through the asphalt....


This cemetery has many historical features.  One of them was the Massillon Bridge and there's a geocache commemorating it.  The original bridge was built in 1895.  There's a lot of history about the Massillon Bridge Company and you can read about it here if you like.


 The bridge is extremely narrow and only one vehicle can pass over it at a time.  Mom and dad searched for the geocache....


My favorite cache location at the cemetery was the Ancient Indian trail.  At one time an Indian trail skirted the forest and ran along the Des Plaines river.  I like to imagine the Indians from another era walking along the same ground that we were standing on.  I just think that's pretty cool.

 


The cemetery has several other historical markers including:

Civil War General William Sooy Smith

Graves of two children lost in the 1903 Iroquois Theater Fire

Haymarket Monument

Personally I enjoy doing the cemetery caches because they are filled with local history.  As long as the geocaches are placed with respect and don't disturb the graves or anybody visiting them, then I don't see a problem. 

12 comments:

  1. Happy Sunday, Kim! Not exactly sure why, but I'm so taken with this photo of the pavement, juxtaposed with the original cobblestone.
    My DIL is also interested in visiting old cemeteries and learning a bit of their histories.
    'Thinking I could learn as well, if I'd just quiet my mind and listen.
    Have yourself a sweet new week!

    Hugs,
    Myra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myra!
      I really liked the cobblestone photo too. Kind of like peeling back the layers of an onion. Enjoy the rest of your day.
      xo

      Delete
  2. It's interesting to visit old cemeteries and read the inscriptions on the tombstones. I too love learning the history of local places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cemeteries hold a wealth of information. I like looking at the interesting headstones.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kim. There you so geocaching again! :) Looks like a great time. I love exploring olden cemeteries and reading the headstones. Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I like best about geocaching - all the places it takes us. xo

      Delete
  4. Goodness, you see a lot of wonderful things during via your geo-cache adventures. I've never been to Illinois, and it looks beautiful. Happy to see you enjoying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you have got to make it to Chicago sometime!

      Delete
  5. Cemeteries are beautiful, interesting places to go. I have gone to many of them as part of a "random acts of genealogy kindness" projects where you photograph headstones for family members doing genealogy research that live far away.
    This one sure is full of diversity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom is our genealogy buff and has taken photos for others, as well as been the recipient of genealogy kindness as well. Those photos are really appreciated.

      Delete
  6. Soooo cool!! I love old cemeteries!!! That's a really cool adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooo cool!! I love old cemeteries!!! That's a really cool adventure!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...