Saturday, July 7, 2012

4th of July at the Lake

I know I'm a couple of days behind with posts, but I just can't get caught up.  We are melting here at the lake with record high temps in the 100's, as I'm sure many of you are as well.


We've been spending a lot of time in the water or else just hanging out in the house, with the A/C blasting and playing card games.



Fourth of July is always a huge party at the lake.  Everyone on our block is here and we spend a lot of time running back and forth between houses.  We also celebrate Louie's birthday during the holiday, so Tony and Alex baked up his favorite cookies - snickerdoodles - in patriotic colors.....




It's our lake tradition to always have a fish fry on the 4th and everybody looks forward to it.  We defrosted 275 fish fillets.....


By 10:30 am Kyle was breading them.....


By 11:15 Louie starts frying them....


And by 1:00 we are finished.  We pile them up on plates and Louie starts taking them around to each house on the block.  By the time we're finished, all the fish are gone and everybody is happy and has a full tummy!


While waiting for the fireworks and the evening party, the kids were all piled around the kitchen table looking at stuff on Pinterest.  I thought it was funny that they had 3 laptops going......


Each 4th of July our neighbors have a giant party and evening buffet and invite the whole block over for dinner, drinks and to watch the fireworks.....



The full moon was amazing!


The little kids were playing on a slip and slide and also running around with sparklers....


We had great seats for the fireworks too.  All the lights you see are the boats out on the lake.  We used to take the pontoon boat out for the fireworks, but it's such a madhouse getting back home afterwards that we stopped doing that.  Front row yard seats are much easier and safer!




After the fireworks we went back home and ate Louie's birthday cupcakes....



4th of July at the lake is always a fun event!

8 comments:

  1. You guys know how to celebrate and party! The fish fry itself is a big event. I'm sure all of your neighbors appreciate it :) I wish I was one of them!

    I have a pic of Kyle and Shae sitting on the couch on their laptaps instant messaging each other lol. Kids are fun and funny.

    Looks like Louie had a great birthday, too. Happy Birthday Louie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a perfect fourth. I am so glad the heat is finally going to break tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a blast! (ha, ha couldn't resist!) Happy 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim - thanks for following my blog. I'm following yours now. Good luck on the July giveaway. I'll be adding more things to it as the month goes. And yes, that is jadeite. I was collecting it for a few years. I'm thinking about an Etsy store in the future and might sell some of it. I find I mostly use the plates and fruit bowls and not the rest of it. I love your blog - I was reading some posts and became especially nostalgic looking at your fishing pictures. That was such a big part of my childhood and we don't do it any more. J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fireworks over the lake sounds lovely! I didn't make it down to the beach for the fireworks any night this year (the 5-night competition right after Hogueras), it was so HOT I felt completely zapped of energy and couldn't deal with the hassle of crowds and traffic... so the idea of watching them over the lake from your own porch is brilliant!

    I got a good laugh at:
    "the kids were all piled around the kitchen table looking at stuff on Pinterest. I thought it was funny that they had 3 laptops going......"
    Welcome to the 21st century! I've had moments like that when I realised that I was playing scrabble with my parents... with the each of us on a different computer (it was via Facebook)... in the SAME HOUSE! :p

    Happy Birthday to Louie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that fish fry brought back so many memories from childhood.....you guys sure know how to have fun !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fish looked fantastic! I haven't been to a good old fashioned fish fry in a long time... these days everything is catch and release- I've almost forgotten how good fried bass tastes.
    Last big one I was at was in Arkansas and that was over 15 years ago.

    Looks like you guys were making some great memories of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful 4th with old fashioned tradiotions. Just the type I like. We used to have block parties when I was growing up. And I sure love a fish fry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...