Thursday, June 30, 2011

I Scream for Ice Cream

There is just something about summer and ice cream that go together.  My favorite kinds are peppermint, heath bar, raspberry rumble and when on Sanibel - Dirty Sand Dollar.

Last night I pulled out my ice cream maker and fired up my first batch (of many) for the summer.

Making home made ice cream is really easy.  I have a 4quart maker.  First you mix together:

2.5 cups milk
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2.5 cups half & half
2 teaspoons vanilla
6 cups whipping cream


Pack it all in the ice cream maker with a lot of ice and pour some ice cream salt over the ice...


Turn the machine on and 45 minutes later I have 4 quarts of yummy goodness.  I added heath bar bits to some...


And left one container plain vanilla (because I forgot to buy the peppermint pieces). 


Chablis just crumbled some oreo cookies over hers and declared it delicious!

Grab a spoon and come on by!

9 comments:

  1. Yum! I have been thinking about getting an ice cream maker and now I definitely want one! That looks and sounds delicious!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy: Tha ice cream would be really good over one of your home made pies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to tell you that we made homemade icecream once this winter and it was awful. No one would eat it plus it's so much more expensive to make than buy (at least here it is...whipping cream and half n half aren't cheap). I am going to try your recipe and give it once more chance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gayle: I agree that it IS expensive to make. This recipe fits a 4 quart ice cream maker. Try this recipe if you can - its one of my favorites. You can substitute crushed malt balls or peppermint for the heath bar. I just add it at the end and use however much I want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made ice cream for months! This weekend would be a great time for me to fire up the ice cream maker. I'll have to try your recipe, it looks easier than mine that has to be cooked to the perfect temp due to the eggs in it. I'll make icecream more often now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds tasty and looks like a productive way to spend a day, especially if the kids help out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on my way!! Love me some homemade ice cream....used to make it every summer, many times...haven't done it in years! I think you have inspired me!! Thanks!!

    (I think hubby and I are going down to Sanibel at the end of the month...AGAIN!!) Yipee!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay this is me {{{{{{screaming}}}}}}}! I love homemade ice cream! I haven't made it in years, but my cousin does every time I visit the farm. My favorite is when peaches are in season. Nothing like tree-ripened Georgia peaches for the perfect summer ice cream treat.

    Thanks Kim for all your kind words on the passing of my cousins. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. Karen's coming over on Sunday, so I know that will pick my spirit right up.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. JDS: The kids are more than happy to help make ice cream - but clean the house??? Not so much!

    Shelllady: ANOTHER trip to Sanibel - boy do you rate!! I'll be watching for another trip report.

    Shellbelle: Ooohhh, peach ice cream sounds good. I'll have to find a recipe for that. Wish I was visiting you when Karen was there. Sounds like fun! I'd like to see a phooning picture. Karen is an expert now you know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...